The following organizations can help individuals with brain injuries and their families with their housing, transportation and utility assistance needs. A link to each organization’s web site is included where available.


CT Housing Search provides a Free Rental Housing Locator Service. Search online or call 1.877.428.8844 to look for affordable or accessible housing.

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) publishes a booklet, Looking for HUD –Assisted Rental Housing in Connecticut’. Call 860.240.4800 to request a free copy. This book contains information on Public housing (low income housing) which is operated by the local housing authority. There are apartments for people with disabilities. You can contact as many housing authorities as you want. Each town has their own listing of units. There are often long wait lists so it is best to apply to as many places as possible. Contact numbers are included in the booklet for the properties and housing authorities.

CT Department of Housing (DOH)
505 Hudson Street
Hartford, CT 06106-7106
DOH Main Line: 860.270.8262
Individual & Family Support Assistance Line: 860.270.8260

Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) is a federally funded program administered by the CT Department of Housing, which helps low income families and people with disabilities to afford housing in the private market. This program is often closed. Please visit the United Way Housing Choice Voucher Program website to determine if there are current openings or Call 2-1-1.

My Place CT is a website that provides a library of resources, services, and supports. Included is a section on finding housing as well as transportation.

Homeless Shelters:  Call 2-1-1.


Transportation resources such as ADA Paratransit, Dial A Ride, Freedom Ride, Driver Assessment/Evaluation, travel training can be found by clicking on 'Transportation' at the start of the sentence.  Para-Transit transportation services are available to persons with disabilities who are unable to travel on a public bus.  

Mobility Ombudsmen in Connecticut connect people with disabilities, older adults, and veterans with accessible, reliable transportation so that they are able to participate in their communities. Contact the Mobility Ombudsmen in your area to find out how to access transportation.
North Central (Greater Hartford) or call 860.667.6207
Eastern (Greater Norwich & New London) 
or call 860.859.5791

South Central (Greater New Haven & Middletown) or call 475.243.3944
Southwest (Greater Bridgeport & Stamford)
 or call 203.365.8522 x263

Northwest Regional Mobility Manager or call 475.298.3103

Freedom Ride Program  Freedom Ride is a prepaid reduced fare voucher program, which offers a 50% discount from the normal taxicab rate, with a minimum purchase of $25 initially.  It is available to ADA eligible passengers who need transportation beyond the traditional ADA paratransit service area and hours or for same-day service.  For more information about the Freedom Ride Taxi Voucher program look at the information sheet.You can also call 860-247-5329 extension 3086 for more information.

For Freedom Ride Services in Greater New Haven or Greater Bridgeport contact M7To be eligible, an individual must meet the definition of “disabled” under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Greater New Haven Transit District (GNHTD) and Greater Bridgeport Transit District (GBTD) staff will interview individuals for eligibility. For applications and program details please contact the following:

For the New Haven area, please call: 203-288-6282 x-2518

For the Bridgeport area, please call The Kennedy Center: 203-365-8522 x 263


Please call Infoline at 2-1-1 to find your nearest fuel bank.

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEA) can help low-income households pay their winter heating bills. Applications are handled by the local Community Action Agency (CAA).  To find your local CAA call Infoline at 2-1-1

Operation Fuel and local fuel banks offer private, non-profit energy assistance to those who need emergency help with energy bills and are not eligible for state or federal assistance. The maximum assistance available is $250 per household for the heating season. For your local fuel bank, call Infoline by dialing 2-1-1