Legal Assistance

The following organizations can help individuals with brain injuries and their families by providing legal assistance. A link to each organization’s web site is included where available.

Statewide Legal Services
Provides civil legal services to individuals who meet their income eligibility requirements.
Phone: 1.800.453.3320
Provides information and tools to help indiivduals represent themselves - created by Connecticut's Legal Aid programs to assist people with very low income find help for their legal problems. 

Connecticut Legal Rights Project
Provides legal services to low income individuals with mental health conditions, who reside in hospitals or the community, on matters related to their treatment, recovery, and civil rights.
Phone: 877-402-2299

Connecticut Fair Housing Center
Dedicated to enforcing housing laws.  The Center provides advocacy, attorney referrals and informaiton in connection with individual housing discrimination complaints.  
Phone: 860-247-4400

The Office of Victim Services
Responds to the needs of crime victims by providing information, referrals, and direct assistance.  Reimbursement for medical bills, counseling, lost wages, disabilities and other expenses experienced as a result of a crime can be obtained through the Victims’ Compensation Fund.
Phone: 1.800.822.8428

The Center for Medicare Advocacy
A private, non-profit organization that provides education, advocacy, and legal assistance to help those who are elderly and those with disabilities obtain necessary healthcare. This organization focuses on the needs of Medicare beneficiaries, people with chronic conditions, and those in need of long-term care.
Phone: 860.456.7790

The Disability Rights Connecticut, Inc. (DRCT) 
Its mission is to...advocate, educate, investigate and litigate to advance and protect the civil rights of citizens with disabilities to participate equally and fully in the social and economic life of Connecticut.   DRCT operates the PATBI (Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Traumatic Brain Injury) program in Connecticut that provides education, advocacy representation and legal assistance to individuals with acquired or traumatic brain injury (TBI). The PATBI program provides FREE individualized advocacy assistance to individuals with TBI.  Statewide coverage.
270 Farmington Avenue, Suite 181,MC6222
Farmington, CT 06030  
Local: 860.297.4300; Toll-free (in CT only): 800.842.7303 

CT Women's Educational and Legal Fund
Offers legal advocacy and information on family issues, employment and civil rights.
Phone: 860.524.0601

CT Bar Association Offers a lawyer search and addresses grievance issues.

CT Probate Court  Probate Courts appoint conservators to oversee the finances and/or personal care of adults who are unable to manage their own affairs. For information on resources please read the following article by Kate McEvoy, Director of the Division of Health Services at the Connecticut Department of Social Services-  Resources on CT Conservatorship and Probate Court User Guide for Conservators.  Kate McEvoy was an integral part of the team that developed and introduced the new conservator laws in CT.  Click here for Probate Court Forms.