Social Services

Social Services
The following programs may be very helpful to individuals with brain injuries, their families, and caregivers. These are administered by the State of Connecticut’s Department of Social Services (DSS).

Note: If as a result of the brain injury, you’re unable to complete a DSS application without assistance or maintain benefits without assistance, contact the ADA Coordinator Astread Ferron-Poole via email or by calling 860.424.5040. Additional Contact Person:  Terri-Lynn Johnston via email or 860.424.5501.  You can request an accommodation to ensure you are able to access services.

The Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Waiver Program is a Medicaid-based program administered by  DSS. It offers home and community-based services to eligible individuals with a brain injury. Certain income/asset requirements apply.  To apply to the program, an individual with a brain injury and/or his or her conservator must first contact DSS at 1-800-445-5394 (Press 1-English; Press 2 -Spanish, Next Option 5-ABI Waiver).  Or to start the formal application process simply click on the ABI Waiver Program link and download and fill out the ABI Waiver Request Form.  Send the completed form to DSS, 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT, 06105.  Attention: Community Options Unit-9th floor. Applicants must be between the ages of 18-64, have an acquired brain injury, be at risk for institutionalization without services, want to live in the community and meet Medicaid eligibility criteria.  If someone is deemed eligible for the ABI Waiver they will be added to the wait list based upon the date of initial application.   DSS will notify the applicant in writing when it is expected that an opening will be available within 90 days.  A Care Manager will meet with the indiviudal, to complete an assessment and to develop a proposed service plan.  A person-centered team shall then be developed.  Current wait list is over 2 years.

Acquired Brain Injury Waiver II Services (based upon an individuals needs and service plan): ABI Group Day, ABI Recovery Assistant, ABI Recovery Assistant II, Adult Day Health, Case Management, Chore Services, Cognitive Behavioral Programs, Community Living Support Services, Companion, Consultation Services, Environmental Modification, Home Delivered Meals, Homemaker, Independent Living Skills Training, Personal Care Assistance (Private), Personal Care Assistance (Agency), Personal Emergency Response Systems, Pre-vocational Services (2 yr limit), Respite, Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies, Substance Abuse Programs, Supported Employment, Transportation, Vehicle Modification Services.  Click here for ABI Waiver II Service Descriptions.

The Personal Care Assistance (PCA) Medicaid Waiver Program is a home and community-based services waiver that provides for personal care assistance services under Medicaid. Income eligibility applies.

To learn more about the ABI or PCA waivers, visit the CT Department of Social Services

To learn more about proposed changes to the ABI Waiver program please visit our Legislative page.

Money Follows the Person (MFP) is a federal demonstration program that helps Medicaid eligible individuals, currently living in long-term care facilities-such as nursing homes and hospitals-successfully transition back into the community.  To participate in the program the individual must be living in a long term care facility for three months or more.  Based on an individuals needs, MFP provides the funds (the cost of nursing home care is the dollar limit for services in the community), services and support needed for to transition to community living.  For more information call 1-888-992-8637 or visit the website at

Community First Choice (CFC) is a new program in Connecticut offered to active Medicaid members as part of the Affordable Care Act.  It is through the CT Department of Social Services (DSS)This program allows individuals to receive supports and services in their home. These services can include—but are not limited to—help preparing meals and doing household chores, and assistance with activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, transferring, etc.). Educational services will be available to help an individual increase his/her independence, and learn how to manage in-home staff. CFC is open to any Medicaid member that can self-direct services and meets Institutional Level of Care. Institutional Level of Care means the individual would likely need to be in an institution, such as a nursing home, if they did not have home and community based services. This program allows an eligible person to have care and support in their home. Call 2-1-1 Option 3 to apply or for additional information.  To apply online:  CFC

To apply for food, cash and medical coverage (including programs listed below), call 1.855.6.CONNECT (1.855.626.6632) or visit the Department of Social Services/ConneCT online.

Some individuals choose to apply for benefits in person. 

  • The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly the Food Stamp Program, is a federally funded program that helps low-income individuals to buy food.
  • Temporary Family Assistance (TFA) is a cash assistance program that provides basic human needs to families who have the responsibility of caring for children under the age of 18.
  • State-Administered General Assistance (SAGA) provides cash and or medical assistance to eligible individuals and families in Connecticut who do not have enough money to meet their basic needs and are unable to work.
  • State Supplement
    The State Supplement program provides cash assistance to the Aged, Blind, or Disabled to supplement their income. In order to receive benefits, individuals must have another source of income such as Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, or Veterans’ benefits. To qualify as aged, and individual must be 65 years of age or older; to qualify as disabled, an individual must be between the ages of 18 and 65 and meet the disability criteria of the federal Social Security Disability Insurance program. Liquid assets cannot exceed $1,600 for a single person or $2,400 for a couple. If a recipient owns a home, a lien is placed upon it.