BIAC sponsors approximately 18 support groups throughout Connecticut, giving individuals with brain injuries and their caregivers the opportunity to connect and share their stories. See below for a listing of all groups. Click Here for current listing of the support groups in Connecticut, or see listing below. Facilitated by both an individual with a brain injury or a family member, and a professional, the support groups are extremely fluid in responding to the interests of their attendees. While most groups are open and welcome all individuals with brain injuries who wish to attend, several of BIAC’s Support Groups focus on individuals with a commonality that helps direct the content so that it is relevant to their current situation.
There are groups for individuals who have an acquired brain injury due to stroke, for working individuals and for veterans with brain injury, just to name a few. Individual support groups occasionally host guest speakers at their meetings or plan special social events. Check back frequently to see if there are any upcoming presentations that may be of interest to you.
To find out more about BIAC's support groups, please contact Rene Carfi, Education & Outreach Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 860-219-0291 x306.
Support Group information is subject to change. ALWAYS call ahead before attending. Solicitation of Support Group members is not permitted at any time.
- Fairfield County/Danbury - Meets on the 1st Tuesday of each month from 4:30-5:30pm in the Physical Rehab Building on the Upper Level, 235 Main Street, Danbury, CT. The contact for the group is Lynn Yessian, who can be reached at Lynne.Yessian@wchn.org or 203-739-7597. Lynn is a Senior Speech Pathologist at Danbury Hospital.
- Fairfield County/Southport - Young Adults Group (ages 18-35) - Meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 7:00-8:30pm at Eye Care Associates, 2600 Post Road, Southport, CT. The contact for the group is Randy Schulman, who can be reached at email@example.com or 203-394-2722. Randy is a Behavioral Optometrist at Eye Care Associates. NEW GROUP for Young Adults Ages 18-35, starting in February 2019.
- Fairfield County/Stratford - Meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 6:00-7:30pm in Suite 205 at Access Independence, 80 Ferry Boulevard, Stratford, CT. The contact for the group is Sue Rhode, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-260-7137. Sue is an Occupational Therapist at the Albhin Center of Rehabilitation Medicine.
- Hartford County/Hartford - Meets on the 1st Wednesday of each month from 12:00-1:30pm in Room 115 of the Cresent Street Center for Art & Neuroscience at Trinity College, Broad Street, Hartford, CT. The contact for the group is Sarah Raskin, PhD, who can be reached at email@example.com or 860-297-2342. Sarah Raskin is a Professor of Psychology & Neuroscience at Trinity College.
- Hartford County/Manchester - Meets on the 1st Thursday of each month from 6:00-7:00pm at Manchester Memorial Hospital, 71 Haynes Street, Manchester CT (ask reception for meeting location). The contacts for the group are Mark Lukas at 860-836-5230 and Tom Schuck at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-219-0140. Mark is a Brain Injury Specialist at the Brain Injury Alliance of CT, and Tom volunteers to assist with support group reporting at BIAC.
- Hartford County/New Britain - Meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 6:00pm in the Lower Level Conference Room at Hospital for Special Care, 2150 Corbin Avenue, New Britain, CT. The contacts for the group are Dennis Johnston at email@example.com, 860-827-1958, x 3351 and Scott Moore, 203-233-2129. Dennis is a Neuropsychologist at Hospital for Special Care.
- Hartford County/Plainville - Meets on the 1st Tuesday of each month from 2:00-3:00pm at The Support Living Group, LLC, 97A Whiting Street, Suite A Conference Room, Plainville, CT. The contact for the group is Brittany Ritter at firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-774-3400. Brittany is a Vocational Manager at the Supported Living Group.
- Hartford County - Women's Group/Living with Invisiible Injury - The meeting date, time and location will fluctuate depending upon the needs of the group, but will meet at a location in Hartford County or meet virtually. The contact for the group is Sarah Raskin, PhD, who can be reached at email@example.com or 860-297-2342. Sarah Raskin is a Professor of Psychology & Neuroscience at Trinity College.
- Middlesex County/Middletown: Mental Health & Brain Injury Specific Group - This group is currently on hold. Meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 7:00-8:30pm in the Living Skills Area of Paige Hall at CT Valley Hospital (CVH), 1000 Silver Street, Middletown, CT. The contact for the group is Jyothi Vayalakkara, PhD, who can be reached at Jyothi.Vayalakkara@ct.gov or 508-816-8787. Jyothi is a Neuropsychologist at Connecticut Valley Hospital.
- New Haven County/Guilford - Meets on the 1st Monday of each month from 5:30-7:15pm in the Sachem Room at the Guilford Community Center, 32 Church Street , Guilford, CT. The contacts for the group are Kelly Weed, firstname.lastname@example.org, 203-492-9787and Chris Lee, 802-318-1974. Chris is an Assistant Research Scientist at Yale.
- New Haven County/North Haven - Meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 6:30-7:30pm at the North Haven Recreational Center, 7 Linsley Street, North Haven, CT. The contacts for the group are Liz Collins, Elizabethcollins12@gmail.com, 203-430-0251 and Barbara Nadeau, email@example.com, 203-582-8691. Barbara is a Clinical Associate Professor of Occupational Therapy at Quinnipiac University.
- New Haven County/Orange: Veteran Specific Group - Meets on the 3rd Monday of each month from 5:30-7:00pm at the New Haven Vet Center, 291 S. Lambert Road, Orange, CT. The contact for the group is Gabe Kautzner, 203-795-0148. Gabe is an Outreach Specialist at the Vet Center.
- New Haven County/Waterbury - Meets on the 1st Thursday of each month at 2:00pm at Independent Lliving Solutions, 345 Meriden Road, Waterbury, CT. The contacts for the group are Sherry Arslan, firstname.lastname@example.org, 203-819-0999 and Renata Pierce, email@example.com, 203-528-5969. Sherry is an ILST at Independent Living Solutions, and Renata is the Assistance Executive Director Independent Living Solutions.
- New London County/New London - Meets on the 4th Thursday of each month from 4:00-5:30pm, except November & December when the group meets on the 2nd Thursday, in Education Room 104.1C (right off of the Wave Cafe as you come in the main entrance of the hospital) at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital, 365 Montauk Avenue, New London, CT. The contact for the group is Heather Staton, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-442-0711, x2246. Heather is a Speech Language Pathologist at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital.
- New London County/Norwich - Meets on the 1st Thursday of each month from 1:30-3:00pm in the Medical Office Building of William W. Backus Hospital, 326 Washington Street, Norwich, CT. The contact for the group is Beth Conley, email@example.com, 860-889-8331, x 4060 . Beth is a Speech Language Pathologist at Backus Hospital.
- Tolland County/Ellington: Social Group - Bring Lunch! Meets on the last Tuesday of each month from 12:15-1:30pm for group, but meets every Tuesday for lunch, in the lobby of the Ellington YMCA, 11 Pinney Street, Ellington, CT. The contacts for the group are Maria Rosa, firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-543-5855 and Lauren Vassallo, email@example.com, 860-593-0410. Maria is an ILST at Project Genesis. Lauren is a private ILST.
- Tolland County/Storrs: Focus on Return to Work/College - Meets on the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month from 6:00-8:00pm in Room 114 of the Phillips Communication Science Building (look for speech/hearing building, next to physical therapy clinic) at UCONN Campus, 850 Bolton Road, Storrs, CT (parking permit needed - inquire within the building). The contact for the group is Andre Lindsey, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-302-4821. Andre is a Speech Language Pathologist at UCONN.
- Windham County/Danielson - Meets on the last Tuesday of each month from 2:00-3:00pm at The Supported Living Group, LLC, 113 School Street, Downstairs Conference Room, Danielson, CT. The contact for the group is Brittany Ritter at email@example.com, 860-774-3400. Brittany is a Vocational Manager at the Supported Living Group.
- Windham County/Willimantic - Meets on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 12:00-1:00pm in the Bernard/Desroisers Room (located to the right after the main entrance) in Windham Memorial Hospital, 112 Mansfield Avenue, Willimantic, CT. The contact for the group is Cindy Dupointe, 860-428-8526. Cindy is an ABI Program Director at Project Genesis.
Unaffiliated Support Groups
PINK Concussions, a non-profit focusing on women and girls with concussions from sports, domestic violence, accidents or military service, facilitates online support groups for women, teen girls, and their parents/spouses/caregivers. PINK Concussions moderates these online support groups for over 3,800+ members including separate groups for women, young women under age 25, caregivers/parents, as well as professional groups for clinicians who work in brain injury. All groups are free and moderated by founder and Licensed Clinical Social Worker LCSW, Katherine Snedaker and a volunteer staff. Topics in the Women’s Group will address women's issues with PCS and employment, spouses, and/or being a parent. The group for women under age 25 will address school and college age issues. Each woman can chose which group best fits her needs. There are five groups plus a 6th group for young women who want to be interns:
1. PINK Women’s Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PINKconcussionsWomen/
2. PINK Young Women’s Group (for women under age 25) https://www.facebook.com/groups/PINKunder25/
3. PINK Caregivers/Parents https://www.facebook.com/groups/PINKconcussionsParents/
4. PINK Medical and Research Professionals including First Responders https://www.facebook.com/groups/pinkTBIpros/
5. PINK Veterans https://www.facebook.com/groups/PINKveterans/