BIAC sponsors approximately 18 support groups throughout Connecticut, giving individuals with brain injuries and their caregivers the opportunity to connect and share their stories. See below for a listing of all groups. Click Here for current listing of the support groups in Connecticut, or see listing below. In addition to the groups listed below, Project Genesis began hosting a Family & Caregiver Brain Injury Support Group, that focuses specifically on the needs of family members and caregivers of an individual with a brain injury. Facilitated by both an individual with a brain injury or a family member, and a professional, the support groups are extremely fluid in responding to the interests of their attendees. While most groups are open and welcome all individuals with brain injuries who wish to attend, several of BIAC’s Support Groups focus on individuals with a commonality that helps direct the content so that it is relevant to their current situation.
There are groups for individuals who have an acquired brain injury due to stroke, for working individuals and for veterans with brain injury, just to name a few. Individual support groups occasionally host guest speakers at their meetings or plan special social events. Check back frequently to see if there are any upcoming presentations that may be of interest to you.
To find out more about BIAC's support groups, please contact Rene Carfi, Education & Outreach Manager, at email@example.com or call 860-219-0291 x306.
Support Group information is subject to change. ALWAYS call ahead before attending. Solicitation of Support Group members is not permitted at any time.
- Fairfield County/Danbury - Meets on the 1st Tuesday of each month from 4:30-5:30pm in the Physical Rehab Building on the Upper Level, 235 Main Street, Danbury, CT. The contact for the group is Lynn Yessian, who can be reached at Lynn.Yessian@wchn.org or 203-739-7597.
- Fairfield County/Stamford - Group is currently on hold. Meets on the 2nd Monday of each month from 12:00-1:00pm in the Tully Health Center's Conference Room B at Stamford Hospital, 32 Strawberry Hill Court, Stamford, CT. The contacts for the group are Diane Powis at 203-276-2605 and Michele Lenes at 203-276-2662.
- Fairfield County/Stratford - Meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 6:00-7:30pm in Suite 205 at Access Independence, 80 Ferry Boulevard, Stratford, CT. The contact for the group is Sue Rhode, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-260-7137.
- Hartford County/Hartford - Meets on the 1st Wednesday of each month from 12:00-1:30pm in Room 115 of the Cresent Street Center for Art & Neuroscience at Trinity College, Broad Street, Hartford, CT. The contact for the group is Sarah Raskin, PhD, who can be reached at email@example.com or 860-297-2342.
- Hartford County/Manchester - Meets on the 1st Thursday of each month from 6:00-7:00pm at Manchester Memorial Hospital, 71 Haynes Street, Manchester CT (ask reception for meeting location). The contacts for the group are Mark Lukas at 860-836-5230 and Tom Schuck at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-219-0140.
- Hartford County/New Britain - Meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 6:00pm in the Lower Level Conference Room at Hospital for Special Care, 2150 Corbin Avenue, New Britain, CT. The contacts for the group are Dennis Johnston at email@example.com, 860-824-1958, x 3351 and Scott Moore, 203-233-2129.
- Litchfield County/Thomaston - Meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month from 1:00-2:00pm at Mindscapes Industries, 196 East Main Street, Thomaston, CT. The contact for the group is Cassondra Santos, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-283-6463.
- Middlesex County/Middletown: Mental Health & Brain Injury Specific Group - This group is currently on hold. Meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 7:00-8:30pm in the Living Skills Area of Paige Hall at CT Valley Hospital (CVH), 1000 Silver Street, Middletown, CT. The contact for the group is Jyothi Vayalakkara, PhD, who can be reached at Jyothi.Vayalakkara@ct.gov or 508-816-8787.
- New Haven County/Guilford - Meets on the 1st Monday of each month from 5:30-7:15pm in Suite 102 at the New Hope Center at Concept Park, 741 Boston Post Road, Guilford, CT. The contacts for the group are Kelly Weed, email@example.com, 203-495-9787 and Chris Lee, 802-318-1974.
- New Haven County/North Haven - Meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 6:30-7:30pm at the North Haven Recreational Center, 7 Linsley Street, North Haven, CT. The contacts for the group are Liz Collins, Elizabethcollins12@gmail.com, 203-430-0251 and Barbara Nadeau, firstname.lastname@example.org, 203-582-8691.
- New Haven County/Orange: Veteran Specific Group - Meets on the 3rd Monday of each month from 5:30-7:00pm at the New Haven Vet Center, 291 S. Lambert Road, Orange, CT. The contact for the group is Gabe Kautzner, 203-795-0148.
- New Haven County/Waterbury - Meets on the 1st Thursday of each month at 2:00pm at Independent Lliving Solutions, 345 Meriden Road, Waterbury, CT. The contacts for the group are Sherry Arslan, email@example.com, 203-819-0999 and Renata Pierce, firstname.lastname@example.org, 203-528-5969.
- New London County/New London - Meets on the 4th Thursday of each month from 4:30-6:00pm in Conference Room at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital, 365 Montauk Avenue, New London, CT. The contact for the group is Heather Turner, who can be reached at email@example.com, 860-442-0711, x2246.
- New London County/Norwich - Meets on the 1st Thursday of each month from 1:30-3:00pm in the Medical Office Building of William W. Backus Hospital, 326 Washington Street, Norwich, CT. The contacts for the group are Beth Conley, firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-889-8331, x 4060 and Elizabeth Gayhart, email@example.com, 860-786-7910.
- Tolland County/Ellington: Social Group - Bring Lunch! Meets on the last Tuesday of each month from 12:15-1:30pm for group, but meets every Tuesday for lunch, in the lobby of the Ellington YMCA, 11 Pinney Street, Ellington, CT. The contacts for the group are Maria Rosa, firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-543-5855 and Lauren Vassallo, email@example.com, 860-593-0410.
- Tolland County/Storrs: Focus on Return to Work/College - Meets on the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month from 6:00-8:00pm in Room 114 of the Phillips Communication Science Building (look for speech/hearing building, next to physical therapy clinic) at UCONN Campus, 850 Bolton Road, Storrs, CT (parking permit needed - inquire within the building). The contact for the group is Andre Lindsey, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-302-4821.
- Windham County/Willimantic - Meets on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 12:00-1:00pm on the 2nd Floor of the Willimantic Generations Building, 40 Mansfield Avenue, Willimantic, CT. The contacts for the group are Aaron Hogue, 860-576-2271 and Cindy Dupointe, 860-428-8526.